2023/2024 HamSCI Festivals of Eclipse Ionospheric Science (FoEIS)
The HamSCI Festivals of Eclipse Ionospheric Science will occur October 14, 2023 and April 8, 2024 during spectacular North American solar eclipses.
The Festivals will consist of multiple events, each with a goal of increasing our understanding of sun-ionosphere-earth relationships.
Participants will include volunteer amateur radio operators, short wave listeners and science researchers from multiple US universities.
♦ HamSCI FoEIS Contests (Non-WARC Bands, 6-160 meters)
- The Solar Eclipse QSO Party (SEQP) using CW, FT4/8, SSB and other digital modes
- The Gladstone Signal Spotting Challenge (GSSC) using CW, WSPR and FST4W modes
- The HamSCI FoEIS Contest Info Page has all of the details
- TDOA (Time Delay of Arrival) Event - The Use of Time Delay of Arrival (TDOA) Measurements to Profile Ionospheric Layer Height Changes During Solar Eclipses
- Using the Grape 1 and Grape 2 Low-IF receivers to measure Doppler Effects on the Reception of WWV and CHU (this is a long term experiment - monitoring and data gathering has research value on a 24/7/365 basis - beginning anytime before and continuing long after the eclipses)
♦ Additional Events Taking Place Across the Radio Spectrum
Medium Wave (MW) Recordings Event - Making IQ recordings (using software defined radios) of medium wave broadcast stations for future studies of eclipse-influenced ionospheric dynamics
VLF Reception Exercise (Definition in progress - please check back at a later date)
2017 Eclipse Archive
- 2017 Eclipse HamSCI Home Page
- 2017 Solar Eclipse QSO Party (SEQP) Results
- 2017 SEQP Data Archive
- National Contest Journal NCJ Solar-Eclipse Wrap-Up
- Geophysical Research Letters Peer-Reviewed Science Article
- The University of Scranton (W3USR) (Lead Institution)
- Case Western Reserve University (W8EDU)
- New Jersey Institute of Technology (K2MFF)
- The University of Alabama
- Dartmouth College
- Montclair State University
- Rice University (W5YG)
Please bookmark this page and join the HamSCI eclipse mailing list for future announcements related to the HamSCI FoEIS.